AFB Test – An Overview
What is an AFB Test?
AFB (Acid-fast bacillus) is a mycobacterium that causes tuberculosis and other illnesses. Tuberculosis, or TB, is a deadly bacterial infection that mostly attacks the lungs. It may also have an impact on the brain, spine, and kidneys. Coughing or sneezing spreads tuberculosis from one person to the next.
Tuberculosis can be silent or active. You’ll have TB germs in your body if you have silent TB, but you won’t feel unwell and won’t be able to spread the disease to others. If you have active tuberculosis, you will experience symptoms and may infect others.
AFB tests are typically ordered for persons who have current TB symptoms. The tests check for AFB bacteria in your sputum. Sputum is viscous mucus that comes up from the lungs when you cough.
Why AFB Test is Done?
If you have current TB symptoms, you may need an AFB test. These are some of them:
- Cough that lasts for three weeks or more
- A common symptom is coughing up blood and/or sputum
- Pain in the chest
- Sweats at night
- Weight loss that isn’t explained
In addition to the lungs, active tuberculosis can produce symptoms in other regions of the body. Depending on which area of the body is affected, the symptoms will differ. If you have the following symptoms, you may need to be tested:
- Urine with blood in it
- Weakness and joint discomfort
If you have specific risk factors, you may need to be tested. If you do any of the following, you may be at an increased risk of contracting tuberculosis.
- Have had a close relationship with someone who has been diagnosed with tuberculosis
- If you have HIV or another condition that causes your immune system to deteriorate
- Live or work in an area where tuberculosis is prevalent. Homeless shelters, elderly institutions, and jails are among them.
When is the AFB Test Performed?
The most common use of AFB tests is to diagnosis active tuberculosis (TB) infection. They may also be utilized to aid in the diagnosis of other AFB infections.
These are some of them:
- Leprosy, a once-feared disease that damages the nerves, eyes, and skin, is today a rare and readily curable condition. The skin becomes red and dry, and there is a lack of feeling.
- An infection related to tuberculosis primarily affects HIV/AIDS patients and those with weaker immune systems.
- People who have already been diagnosed with tuberculosis can also employ AFB testing. The tests can reveal whether the treatment is effective and whether the virus is still contagious.
How to Prepare for the AFB Test?
An AFB Test requires no specific preparation.
How is the AFB Test Performed?
You will be given a specific plastic cup to collect your sputum from your healthcare professional. As soon as you wake up in the morning, brush your teeth and rinse your mouth (before eating or drinking anything). Mouthwash should not be used.
The steps for collecting a sputum sample are as follows:
- Take a five-second deep inhale and hold it.
- Breathe out slowly.
- Take another deep inhale and cough vigorously until sputum appears in your mouth.
- Into a cup, spit the sputum. Close the cover of the cup tightly.
- The outside of the cup should be rinsed and dried. On the outside of the cup, write the date you gathered the sputum.
- As quickly as possible, take the sample to the location specified by your doctor.
Normal Range: Negative/No AFB Seen
Risks/Side Effects of AFB Test
There are no dangers associated with collecting a sputum sample.
Why Choose SpiceHealth?
SpiceHealth is a perfect ally in your journey to wellness. At SpiceHealth, we believe that quality healthcare is a human right. With a team of 200+ experts, 14+ labs, and lacs of happy patrons, SpiceHealth is growing exponentially and strives to provide accessible and affordable quality health care to one and all. We use the latest-in-technology that ensures accurate and error-free results in less time. SpiceHealth provides walk-in centers, mobile testing, and home-collection services with economical pricing and advanced care. Accurate- Affordable- Fast are the words we live by. Get the most economical AFB test online today!
THINGS TO KNOW AFTER GETTING TESTED
Understanding Test Results
If an AFB smear test came out negative, you don’t have active tuberculosis. However, it’s also possible that there weren’t enough bacteria in the sample for your doctor to make a diagnosis.
If your AFB smear was positive, you most likely have tuberculosis or another illness, but you’ll need an AFB culture to confirm the diagnosis. Because culture findings can take several weeks, your doctor may decide to treat your infection while waiting for the results.
If your AFB culture came back positive, you have active tuberculosis or another AFB infection. The sort of infection you have can be determined by the culture. Your doctor may order a “susceptibility test” on your sample after you’ve been diagnosed. To decide which antibiotic will provide the most successful treatment, a susceptibility test is conducted.
STEPS OF BOOKING
Instructions To Book an Appointment
The details about this test mentioned on our website are for reference purpose only. It is recommended to contact a doctor for interpreting and understanding the test reports. Instead of searching 'AFB stain near me' on the web, all you need to do is, visit our website www.spicehealth.com and book the AFB test online. Just enter your mobile number or mail, generate an OTP, add your details, and schedule your appointment. No documents are needed at the time of booking; a few basic details are all we want. Also, we offer contactless doorstep collection services as well.
You can also book the appointment for your test by dialing our customer care number i.e. +91-124-4967000.
A big shout-out to the polite and supportive staff of SpiceHealth who visited us for home collection. I had a great experience with my full-body checkup. Quick and easy process.Neetu Singh
Well done SpiceHealth for providing such affordable tests. With a team of the young and certified medical workforce and an advanced and innovative pathology lab at Sama Hospital, SpiceHealth is doing a great job. I’m so happy with my experience yesterday. Thanks again.Ayesha Khan
Affordable testing is what India deserves at these times of crisis. I would like to recommend SpiceHealth to anyone looking for their body tests. Easy process, quick results, and low prices. Just amazingRahul Kumar