Peripheral Smear Test – An Overview
How to Prepare for the Peripheral Smear Test?
No special preparation is required for this test. If your doctor has ordered further blood tests, you may need to fast (not eat or drink) for several hours before the test. If there are any special instructions to follow, your health care practitioner will inform you.
What is a Peripheral Smear Test?
A blood smear is a blood sample that is analyzed on a specially prepared slide. A laboratory worker examines the slide under a microscope to determine the size, shape, and number of different types of blood cells for a blood smear test. Here are a few observations:
- Red blood cells are responsible for supplying oxygen from your lungs to the rest of your body.
- White blood cells are anti-infective cells.
- Platelets, which help your blood to clot.
Computers are used to analyze the results of several CBC tests. The lab pathologist examines a blood smear for blood cell issues that may not be visible on computer analysis.
Other terms for this test include peripheral blood smear (Pbs), peripheral blood film, smear, blood film, manual differential, differential slide, blood cell morphology, and blood smear analysis.
Why Peripheral Smear Test is Done?
If your total blood count results are abnormal, you may require a blood smear. A complete blood count (CBC) is a regular test that evaluates many different aspects of your blood. If you have symptoms of a blood disorder, your doctor may also request a blood smear. Among these signs are:
- Fatigue Jaundice is a disorder in which your skin and eyes turn yellow
- Skin tone is light
- Unusual bleeding, such as nosebleeds
- Bone ache
If your health care physician suspects you have a parasitic condition, such as malaria, you may require a blood smear. When a blood smear is examined under a microscope, parasites may be visible.
When is a Peripheral Smear Performed?
A blood smear may be ordered by your healthcare professional for a variety of reasons. Here are a few examples:
- to investigate anomalies discovered on a complete blood count (CBC), such as an abnormally high or low red blood cell count, white blood cell count, or platelet count
- to assess an infection (identifying the types of white blood cells present can help determine if an infection is viral, bacterial, or parasitic)
- to check for the reason of unexplained jaundice, unexplained weight loss (defined as a loss of 5 percent of body weight over 6 months)
- to assess symptoms of lightheadedness and paleness (paleness)
- to check for causes of petechia, bruising, or excessive bleeding in patients with a low platelet count, to establish whether the reason is increased degradation or decreased production (based on the size)
- to check for reasons of spleen, liver, or lymph node enlargement
How is the Peripheral Smear Test Performed?
A blood sample is obtained from an arm vein or by pricking a finger, or, in the case of a newborn, the heel.
Risks/Side Effects of Peripheral Smear Test
Typically, there is no such harm associated with the peripheral smear test. When the needle pricks the arm or finger of those taking the test, they may feel a mild sting.
What Does Peripheral Smear Measure?
- The number and type of white blood cells (differential, or percentage of each type of cell)
- The number and type of blood cells that are abnormally shaped
- An approximation of white blood cells, red blood cells and, platelet numbers.
A blood smear is rated normal if your blood contains a sufficient number of cells and the cells appear normal.
Why Choose SpiceHealth?
SpiceHealth is a perfect ally in your journey to wellness. At SpiceHealth, we believe that quality healthcare is a human right. With a team of 200+ experts, 14+ labs, and lacs of happy patrons, SpiceHealth is growing exponentially and strives to provide accessible and affordable quality health care to one and all. We use the latest-in-technology that ensures accurate and error-free results in less time. SpiceHealth provides walk-in centers, mobile testing, and home-collection services with economical pricing and advanced care. Accurate- Affordable- Fast are the words we live by. Get the most economical PBS test online today!
THINGS TO KNOW AFTER GETTING TESTED
Understanding the Results
Your results will show whether your blood cells are normal or abnormal. Red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets will all have their results.
If your red blood cell findings are abnormal, it could mean one of the following:
2. Sickle cell disease
4. Disorders of the bone marrow
5. Hemolytic anemia is a kind of anemia in which red blood cells are destroyed before they can be replenished, leaving the body with an insufficient supply of healthy red blood cells
If your white blood cell count is abnormal, it could mean one of the following:
If your platelet results are abnormal
4. It may indicate thrombocytopenia, a disorder in which your blood contains fewer platelets than normal
A blood test may not provide enough information for your doctor to make a diagnosis. If any of your blood smear results are abnormal, your doctor will most likely prescribe more tests.
STEPS OF BOOKING
Instructions To Book an Appointment
The details about this test mentioned on our website are for reference purpose only. It is recommended to contact a doctor for interpreting and understanding the test reports. Instead of searching 'peripheral smear tests near me' on the web, all you need to do is, visit our website www.spicehealth.com and book the peripheral smear test online. Just enter your mobile number or mail, generate an OTP, add your details, and schedule your appointment. No documents are needed at the time of booking; a few basic details are all we want. Also, we offer contactless doorstep collection services as well.
You can also book the appointment for your test by dialing our customer care number i.e. +91-124-4967000.
A big shout-out to the polite and supportive staff of SpiceHealth who visited us for home collection. I had a great experience with my full-body checkup. Quick and easy process.Neetu Singh
Well done SpiceHealth for providing such affordable tests. With a team of the young and certified medical workforce and an advanced and innovative pathology lab at Sama Hospital, SpiceHealth is doing a great job. I’m so happy with my experience yesterday. Thanks again.Ayesha Khan
Affordable testing is what India deserves at these times of crisis. I would like to recommend SpiceHealth to anyone looking for their body tests. Easy process, quick results, and low prices. Just amazingRahul Kumar