Serum Amylase Test
An amy test is also called a serum amylase test. You can go through serum amylase test price, procedures, instructions, etc.
Serum Amylase Test – An Overview
What is a Serum Amylase?
A serum amylase test helps measure the amount of amylase in the blood or urine. Amylase is a special protein or an enzyme that helps break down the carbohydrates and digest the food. Most of the amylase is produced in the salivary glands and pancreas. It is normal to have a small amount of amylase in the blood and urine.
However, a larger or lower amount of amylase can lead to having a disorder of the pancreas, an infection, or other medical conditions. Hence, it is necessary to get a serum amylase test done on a timely basis. Its results can help diagnose pancreatic and salivary gland disorders.
Why is the Serum Amylase Done?
Normally, a serum amylase test is needed to check:
- Amount of amylase in the blood or urine.
- Inflammation of the pancreas.
- Disorders in the salivary gland.
When cells and tissues in the pancreas are injured, the production of amylase is increased in the blood. As amylase is eliminated through urine. A serum amylase test determines the levels of amylase through a urine sample. Increased levels of amylase may mean pancreatitis, blocked pancreatic duct, or a pancreatic tumour.
When is the Serum Amylase Performed?
A serum amylase test is normally done if the doctor suspects –
- Frequent urination
- Excessive thirst
- Fatigue (extreme tiredness)
- Pain in the middle of the chest
- Nausea, sweating.
- Weight loss
- Symptoms of pancreatic disorders, such as fever, loss of appetite, severe abdominal pain
How to prepare for a Serum Amylase Test?
For an amy test, it is advised:
- Not to consume alcohol at least 24 hours before the test.
- The doctor should be informed in case you are taking medicines (like aspirin, opiates, birth control pills), herbs, vitamins, or alcohol, as these can affect the results.
- Not to eat or drink anything except water, 2 hours before taking the blood test.
One does not have to do anything special to get ready for an amylase test.
What does the Serum Amylase Measure?
- A serum amylase blood test measures the amount of amylase in a person’s blood and urine. A higher amylase level in the blood raises the chances of a condition affecting the pancreas.
- For acute pancreatitis, the increase in amylase levels occurs 4 to 8 hours after the injury and remains elevated until treated. After that, it will come down to normal levels after a few days.
- For chronic pancreatitis, the amylase levels increase initially but decrease over time while the pancreas is affected. An often change in the levels, from high to normal, may indicate the affected area is not treated well.
- Amylase levels in urine often imitate the levels in the blood. As the amylase levels in the blood decrease, it takes a few days before the levels in urine come to normal.
How is the Serum Amylase Test Performed?
For a serum amylase test, a blood sample will be taken from a vein in your arm using a small needle. One might feel a little prick when the needle goes in. After the needle is inserted, a small amount of blood sample will be collected into a test tube. At times, the doctor can suggest going for a urine amylase test wherein you need to provide a urine sample in a closed container. This complete procedure can be done by a trained health professional.
Risk/Side Effects of Serum Amylase Test
There is generally no side effect or risk involved in an amylase test. However, one should keep the following things in mind:
- As the blood will be drawn from the vein in the arm through an injection, you can expect a little pain and wound for a short period.
- Covering the patch with a cotton bud or a band aid will prevent any chance of infection.
Why Choose SpiceHealth?
SpiceHealth believes that quality healthcare is a human right. With a team of 200+ experts, 14+ labs, and lacs of happy patrons, SpiceHealth is growing exponentially and strives to provide accessible and affordable quality health care to one and all. We use the latest-in-technology that ensures accurate and error-free results in less time. SpiceHealth provides walk-in centers, mobile testing, and home-collection services with economical pricing and advanced care. Accurate – Affordable – Fast are the words we live by. SpiceHealth is a perfect ally in your journey to wellness. Get the most economical serum amylase test online today!
THINGS TO KNOW AFTER GETTING TESTED
Understanding the Results of a Serum Amylase Test
Below is the normal range of amylase in blood and urine for an adult-
|Amylase in blood||30 – 110 units per liter (U/L)|
|Amylase in urine||2.6 – 21.2 International units per hour (IU/h)|
If the results show an abnormal level of amylase in the blood or urine, it indicates the disorder of the pancreas, salivary gland, or other medical conditions.
Low levels of amylase indicate –
An inflammation of the pancreas that gets worse and leads to permanent damage.
Chronic pancreatitis – often caused by heavy use of alcohol.
High levels of amylase indicate –
A blockage in the pancreas
A severe inflammation of the pancreas. It usually gets better, if treated promptly.
To get your pancreas healthy, food should be consumed which is rich in protein, low in animal fats, and contains antioxidants. Try beans and lentils, soups, lean meats.
STEPS OF BOOKING
Instructions to Book an Appointment
The details about this test mentioned on our website are for reference purpose only. It is recommended to contact a doctor for interpreting and understanding the test reports. It has never been easier to book a serum amylase test! Visit our website www.spicehealth.com and book your appointment online. Just enter your mobile number or mail, generate an OTP, add your details and schedule your appointment. Also, we offer contactless doorstep collection services as well. The serum amylase test price is way lesser than the value you expect.
You can also book the appointment for your test by dialing our customer care number i.e. +91-124-4967000.
A big shout-out to the polite and supportive staff of SpiceHealth who visited us for home collection. I had a great experience with my full-body checkup. Quick and easy process.Neetu Singh
Well done SpiceHealth for providing such affordable tests. With a team of the young and certified medical workforce and an advanced and innovative pathology lab at Sama Hospital, SpiceHealth is doing a great job. I’m so happy with my experience yesterday. Thanks again.Ayesha Khan
Affordable testing is what India deserves at these times of crisis. I would like to recommend SpiceHealth to anyone looking for their body tests. Easy process, quick results, and low prices. Just amazingRahul Kumar