The venereal disease research laboratory test is a blood test that can be used to diagnose syphilis (VDRL). One of the most common sexually transmitted infections is syphilis (STIs).
Syphilis, if left untreated, can harm key organs such as the brain, spinal cord, and heart. Doctors can detect syphilis and other STIs in their early stages using screening and testing protocols.
The VDRL test, a form of syphilis screening test, VDRL test preparation, VDRL Test price, etc will be discussed in this article.
VDRL Test – An Overview
How is the VDRL Test Performed?
The test is performed using a blood sample. A syringe is used to draw blood from a vein in your arm or hand. It’s a procedure that’s done regularly in a hospital, clinic, or lab. Additionally, home collection services are now available. To properly draw your blood sample, a licensed phlebotomist, nurse, or medical assistant will come to your home.
What is the VDRL Test?
The VDRL test detects antibodies produced by your body as a result of contact with the bacteria that causes syphilis. Testing for these antibodies allows your doctor to determine whether or not you are infected.
The bacteria Treponema pallidum causes syphilis, a sexually transmitted disease (STD). It is most usually transmitted sexually (through touch with a syphilis sore (Chancre)). Antibiotics are effective in treating syphilis. However, if left untreated, it can cause serious health complications and even death. Maternal transmission from an infected mother to an unborn child can have serious and potentially fatal effects on the newborn.
Syphilis Progresses via Numerous Stages:
- Primary syphilis: The primary stage begins 2-3 weeks after infection. It usually manifests itself as one or more painless chancres on the sexual partner’s chancre-exposed body regions, such as the penis or vagina. It may go unrecognized since it is unpleasant, especially if it is in the rectum or on the cervix. Even without therapy, it normally goes away in 4-6 weeks.
- Secondary syphilis: If an infected individual is not treated, primary syphilis can evolve to secondary syphilis. Symptoms usually arise 6 weeks to 6 months after the chancre first forms. It is most commonly seen as a non-itchy skin rash (rough, red, and speckled), typically on the palms of the hands and the soles of the feet. Other symptoms may include fever, lethargy, enlarged lymph nodes, a scratchy throat, and body aches.
- Late or tertiary syphilis: If secondary syphilis is not treated, it can develop into the late or tertiary stage. In this case, an infected person may have no symptoms (asymptomatic), but the infection persists and can endure for years. If ignored, tertiary syphilis can cause a variety of consequences, including damage to the heart, eyes, brain, central nervous system (neurosyphilis), bones, joints, or practically any other area of the body. Tertiary syphilis can linger for years, eventually leading to mental illness, blindness, other neurological issues, heart disease, and death.
Why is the VDRL Test Done?
VDRL test is done:
- To detect syphilis in persons who have symptoms of sexually transmitted illnesses.
- To test those who are at a high risk of syphilis exposure, such as those who have another STD or HIV infection, homosexual men who have a syphilis-infected sexual partner, or have engaged in high-risk sexual activity.
- To pregnant women for syphilis screening.
- To keep track of syphilis treatment.
How to Prepare for the VDRL Test?
No preparations are usually desirable.
Risks/Side Effects of VDRL Test
Keep the following considerations in mind:
- You may notice a minor bruise at the puncture site.
- Slight pain in the arm after the test, which can last for a few days.
There is usually no risk associated with the VDRL test.
Reference Range: Negative (Non-Reactive)
Why Choose SpiceHealth?
SpiceHealth is a perfect ally in your journey to wellness. At SpiceHealth, we believe that quality healthcare is a human right. With a team of 200+ experts, 14+ labs, and lacs of happy patrons, SpiceHealth is growing exponentially and strives to provide accessible and affordable quality health care to one and all. We use the latest-in-technology that ensures accurate and error-free results in less time. SpiceHealth provides walk-in centers, mobile testing, and home-collection services with economical pricing and advanced care. Accurate- Affordable- Fast are the words we live by. Get the most economical VDRL test online today!
THINGS TO KNOW AFTER GETTING TESTED
Understanding VDRL Test Results
If your blood sample test results are negative, it means that your blood does not contain syphilis antibodies and that you are not infected with the bacteria. If your test for syphilis antibodies is positive, you may have syphilis. However, your doctor will advise you to undergo other tests known as the treponemal tests, such as TPHA & FTA-AbS to validate your results.
In some situations, the VDRL test may be inaccurate. It takes a long time for your body to manufacture syphilis antibodies. Even if you have the infection, your body may provide false-negative findings, if certain antibodies are not created.
False negative reactions may occur as a result of processing of early-stage illness samples, immunosuppression, or the prozone effect.
False-positive findings are possible if you have any of the following:
Systemic lupus erythematosus
Certain types of pneumonia
Used IV drug
Syphilis antibodies can remain in your body even after you have been treated for the condition, resulting in false-positive test results.
STEPS OF BOOKING
Instructions To Book an Appointment
The details about this test mentioned on our website are for reference purpose only. It is recommended to contact a doctor for interpreting and understanding the test reports. Instead of searching ' VDRL Test near me' on the web, all you need to do is, visit our website www.spicehealth.com and book the VDRL test online. Just enter your mobile number or mail, generate an OTP, add your details, and schedule your appointment. No documents are needed at the time of booking; a few basic details are all we want. Also, we offer contactless doorstep collection services as well.
You can also book the appointment for your test by dialing our customer care number i.e. +91-124-4967000.
A big shout-out to the polite and supportive staff of SpiceHealth who visited us for home collection. I had a great experience with my full-body checkup. Quick and easy process.Neetu Singh
Well done SpiceHealth for providing such affordable tests. With a team of the young and certified medical workforce and an advanced and innovative pathology lab at Sama Hospital, SpiceHealth is doing a great job. I’m so happy with my experience yesterday. Thanks again.Ayesha Khan
Affordable testing is what India deserves at these times of crisis. I would like to recommend SpiceHealth to anyone looking for their body tests. Easy process, quick results, and low prices. Just amazingRahul Kumar